Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Postseason Playoff Resolution Stirs Talk

Ivy League presidents have been notoriously mum on exactly why football is the only conference sport prohibited from postseason play. (See recent Princeton resolution encouraging an end from the ban.) There's a good reason why they are quiet: They can't rationally justify the fairness of the ban. Check out what Princeton President Shirley M. Tilghman told the Daily Princetonian:
"The logic was not completely dependent on the exams schedule, but rather on the very special rivalry that has been our tradition of Ivy football."

The Harvard Crimson has an interesting story today about athletes changing sports after arriving on campus including a placekicker who left the football team before classes began and now plays volleyball. Explained former kicker Jordan Wietzen:
“I got here and I realized that I got really caught up in the recruiting aspect of Harvard and playing Division I football. I really didn’t listen to what the coaches had to say, what was involved, and what your obligations were. As the first week of football started, I realized that I didn’t really want to be part of that. I had made the wrong decision for myself."

There is what appears to be an interesting story about Dartmouth President Jim Wright in the latest Chronicle of Higher Ed. I can't access it because I don't have a subscription, but at least part of the "lede"is intriguing. It describes Wright's desk and goes like this:
"Amid fairly standard desk fare, such as autographed baseballs and a bust of Beethoven, are four curious items: a glass model of a human skull, a dinged-up little knife, a hefty chunk of lead, and a brass door handle."
For more on the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate program, click here. Scroll through this lengthy document to see how Dartmouth fared. At the very bottom, Dartmouth is listed as one of the top overall performers according to the APR scale.

No comments: