Monday, January 19, 2009

A Look At Stadiums

After posting a link yesterday to an artist's rendition of what improvements to Cowell Stadium at the University of New Hampshire might look like, I got an email asking about other stadiums (stadia ;-) in the CAA. Here are links to photos that will give you an idea of what they look like:

Delaware
Hofstra
James Madison
Maine
Massachusetts
Northeastern
Richmond
Rhode Island
Towson
Villanova
William & Mary

I can't vouch for how up-to-date those photos are. Most are from the same site that still features this picture of Memorial Field. (Editor's note: It's interesting to see the old Memorial Field through the lens of the current Memorial Field. I have a new appreciation for how lopsided it was.)

The only CAA schools where I've seen games are Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, and UNH is clearly bringing up the end of that parade. I've been there four times I think, and I still can't make up my mind about the walls at the ends of the UMass stadium.

While I was at it I thought I'd post links to some of the Patriot League stadiums Dartmouth hasn't played in for a few years:

Bucknell
Fordham
Georgetown
Lafayette
Lehigh (Another Lehigh)

I really like Bucknell's field and how they wisely filled in the end of the horseshoe. ... Fordham's field works when you look back at the home stands. Unfortunately, when you look across the way there are no stands at all, or at least there weren't when Dartmouth last played there, and that ruins it. ... Good luck finding a decent picture of Georgetown's current field. ... Lafayette has done an unbelievable job of renovating their stadium. By all means check out this slide show of their new football varsity house. If it hasn't won design awards there is something wrong. ... Lehigh's stadium is gorgeous and nicely situated. My only quibble would be that because of the bowl shape, seats on the 50-yard line are surprisingly far from the field.

A blogger has put up a site with 2009 FCS schedules by league:
Ivy League
Patriot League
CAA

Something I hadn't noted before is that while Dartmouth's opener was Colgate's fourth game a year ago, the Big Green will be the Raiders' third game next fall. Instead of playing at Stony Brook, at Coast Carolina (at game delayed by hurricane) and at home against Furman before hosting Dartmouth, Colgate will be at home against Monmouth and Stony Brook before traveling to Hanover. Given strength of schedule and travel problems last fall, Colgate will be a little less tested but should be a lot fresher against the Big Green this year.

No comments: