Monday, December 26, 2011

A Familiar Name

Give former Dartmouth placekicker Carl "Cha Cha" Romero '89 a little credit for helping a high school girl in his native New Jersey with her placekicking. From the story:
. . . (B)and parent Carl Romero, a former kicker for Dartmouth University, observed some flaws from the stands and asked Caruso if he could help. The coach jumped at the opportunity and Romero came in once a week.

“I started getting into bad kicking habits and he has brought me back to basics,” Deptula said. “He really didn’t change me that much. My steps are more comfortable now and I feel more confident going out on the field.

“We began working on exploding through the ball. I think because of the adjustments we’ve made, my steps feel more natural and I can tell I’m hitting the ball better. I can’t thank him enough.”
Find a PDF of the original Trentonian story here and the print version that fixes Dartmouth University here.

Romero led Dartmouth in scoring in 1987, 1988 and 1989. His best season was 1988 when he was 24-for-24 on PATs and 11-of-16 kicking field goals. He is ninth all-time on the Dartmouth kick-scoring chart.

We're off to the seaside town of Scituate, Mass., today for Christmas II with Mrs. BGA's family. Back at you tomorrow if I can manage Internet access.

No comments: