Sunday, July 27, 2014

Media Day (Of Sorts) Just Over A Week Away

The annual Ivy League football media day is Tuesday, Aug. 5, and I will be on the call. Look for something on BGA that afternoon.

I still rue the end of the old Ivy media days at Yale Golf Course when it was actually possible to ask questions of the coaches without everyone hearing what you were asking, and what the coaches were answering. Much better for getting "scoops."

I was never a boat-rocker as the beat writer for the local daily, but I'd have to say it was pretty interesting hearing what the coaches said about the prohibition on going to the NCAA playoffs and scheduling an 11th game.

Actually, when I asked the question in the public section of the Q&A, I didn't get much. But in rotating from coach to coach afterward for one-on-one interview I got more, as well as a lot of good off-the-record stuff. The absolute best comment I got was in the men's room, uh, standing next to one of the coaches. Couldn't use that one! You don't get any of that stuff on the phone, nor do the coaches get to know you, and you the coaches.
Once again, BGA Premium kicks off the in-depth preview series on Aug. 17. If you've sent along a check for a subscription, be sure to fill out the form at this LINK. If you are renewing your subscription and already have a password, you are set.
One of the great things about going to every full practice is there isn't much you don't see and hear (although there's occasional stuff you can't write). At the newspaper I couldn't go to every practice and so I missed things, like a story about former Princeton standout-turned-actor Dean Cain.

Apparently, while former Dartmouth coach John Lyons was a big fan of Cain's play, he wasn't going to let the Tigers' star defensive back be the one to beat him. A former Big Green player recounts a little bit about Lyons' strategy in a comment he posted below an NBC Sports story headlined, Dean Cain, Matt Leinart trade barbs (yes, it’s still a little slow). Scroll down to read the lengthy comment. LINK
It's my final day doing PR for the Tommy Keane Invitational at Hanover Country Club. I always enjoy doing golf but the last day is always the best, because it's the day I can step away from the computer and actually get out on the course. That Certain Nittany Lion is in the semifinals of the first flight.