Monday, August 25, 2014

Sign Him Up

John Perry, Dartmouth's innovative offensive coordinator from 1999-2004, is now the tight ends coach with the Houston Texans under good friend Bill O'Brien. In this outtake from an episode of the HBO series "Hard Knocks," Perry introduces his 12-year-old son to Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, who the younger Perry frequently watched in person when he played at Boston College and the Perrys lived in Massachusetts.

With encouragement from his dad, a former star receiver at New Hampshire, John Jr., runs down the field and makes a really terrific catch of a pass from Matty Ice, who is suitably impressed. Watch here:



The Dartmouth junior varsity football schedule is out and looks like this:

Thursday, Sept. 11, 1 p.m. – at Harvard (toward the end of the preseason contest with the Crimson)

Saturday, Sept. 13, 1 p.m. – Middlebury at Dartmouth

Sunday, Oct. 5, 1 p.m. – Williams at Dartmouth

Sunday, Oct. 19, 1 p.m. – Norwich at Dartmouth (passing)
With the season beginning this week it's time for the weekly look at the national Sagarin Ratings (LINK), which rank every Division I team (FBS and FCS). They don't mean much early in the season and mean less right now, but here goes:

Ivy League
137 Princeton
149 Harvard
174 Dartmouth
184 Penn
194 Yale
195 Brown
219 Cornell
241 Columbia

Nonconference Opponents
84 New Hampshire
213 Holy Cross
225 Central Connecticut

Last
252 Valparaiso
Remember those bee stings I wrote about last week? Well, it got a little crazy.

By Tuesday the pain was intense, the itch totally off the charts. The areas of the stings on both legs felt like I'd been hit by a hammer and, strangely, they were rock hard to the touch in a circle about the diameter of a baseball.

I suspected something on Wednesday when I struggled to pull on my hiking shoes, and had it confirmed on our drive to Happy Valley on Thursday when That Certain Nittany Lion pointed at my ankles and screamed. (OK, that last part isn't true but he did make a sound like, "yeccch.") My ankles were big. By the time we got to the Little League World Series both my ankles and the tops of my feet looked like they'd been over-inflated and were about to explode. Good thing I was in flip-flops because I'm not sure I could have squeezed my feet into Shaquille O'Neal's sneakers.

My feet are fine now but it was pretty weird. Nurse BGA said it was a nasty reaction to the bee venom that led to swelling, which eventually adhered to the laws of gravity, perhaps aided by my daily hike up the mountain. Pretty weird stuff but the pain is gone, the itching is gone, people are no longer pointing at my feet, and I'm not going anywhere near that bee hive until it's about 20 degrees below zero . . .