Thursday, January 29, 2015

The One Who Got Away

The Colorado Springs Gazette is trumpeting a new Air Force Academy recruit whose name is familiar to those who have been following Dartmouth's recruiting. From the Gazette (LINK):
Air Force's 2015 recruiting class landed its first 3-star prospect – as rated by Rivals – when Ventura, Calif., offensive tackle Nick Capella give a verbal pact to the Falcons a week after opting out of a commitment to Dartmouth.
The newspaper quoted the Tweet the 6-foot-5, 273-pound Capella posted on Jan. 19:
"Due to personal issues I have decided to decommit from Dartmouth University (sic). I would like to extend the sincerest gratitude for the opportunity as well as ensure that I have the utmost respect for Coach Teevans (sic), his staff and Dartmouth football. However, I must do what I believe is best for my family and I.”
From the wide-ranging and ever-expanding "things I did not know" department: Dartmouth grad Dawn Hudson '79 is the NFL's Chief Operating Officer in charge not only of the league's marketing but also events including the Super Bowl. Fortune has a story about her HERE. Hudson was a classmate of Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens.
Yale tailback Tyler Varga has earned an invitation to the NFL Combine. Find a story HERE.
Scrambling around the Internet looking for recruiting information I stumbled across a video someone posted after Dartmouth quarterback Alex Park's final high school game in Pennsylvania a few years ago. It is touching to see his brother, his teammates and opponents console Park after a tough loss. Oh, and the music is perfect ;-) Check it out HERE.
Dartmouth President Phil Hanlon is presenting his Moving Dartmouth Forward program at 8:30 this morning before a packed auditorium. There will be headlines coming out of this speech. I thought I read somewhere it will be streamed but can't find a link. The Dartmouth is Tweeting from the auditorium HERE. Check out the Moving Dartmouth Forward website HERE.