Friday, April 10, 2015

Making His Mark


Former tight end Damon Jones '95, now the head football coach at Riverdale HS in Fort Myers, Fla., is intent on improving the academic performance of his players. From a story in the News-Press about that effort:
“When I hear kids say, ‘I don’t have enough time, I need to work,’ I know. I did it,” Jones said. “And I understand and appreciate what athletics leveraged into me educationally. Do I get into an Ivy league school without the football support? I’m on the fence. I’m proud to admit it.
“But the skill set that athletics taught me helped me in the classroom, and it helped leverage me into a better education and a better life.”
The Internet is an amazing thing. Curious about Dartmouth football more than 100 years ago? CLICK HERE and you can access a scan of the book Three years of football at Dartmouth : being the story of the seasons of '01, '02 and '03 archived in the University of California San Diego library. The book was written by Louis Paul Bénézet.
Thursday's second football practice of the spring was rescheduled to this afternoon. It's 31 degrees with ice pellets coming down right now here on the mountain but is projected to be in the mid-to-upper 60s down in the valley by 3 p.m. We'll see ;-)