Saturday, February 11, 2017

Saturday Show Business

CLICK HERE to read the full story.
You have and will read a lot of stories in this electronic precinct about what former Dartmouth football players are doing, but this one is a little different ;-)

Former offensive lineman Cohle Fowler '14, is a world champion in the International Medieval Combat Federation.

A legislative assistant in Government Relations with the Cherokee Nation based in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, Fowler helped the U.S. 16 vs. 16 team win the world title last year in Portugal. He told the Tulsa World:
“When I’m all geared up, it’s about 75 pounds,” Fowler said. “The handmade helmets are about 18 pounds. I really enjoy it. It is a great outlet for aggression.
“And, I have a real nerdy interest in medieval history. It just fits together for me.”
Fowler, who once did a post-practice presentation for Dartmouth players using foam swords, was a 6-foot-5, 315-pound O-lineman for the Big Green who earned All-Ivy and All-New England FCS first-team honors.
Boston Globe graphic:
The Globe follows up on the story of former Dartmouth quarterback Brian Mann completing the most-watched pass of his life to Lady Gaga at the Super Bowl. Brian told the Globe about how it all came about after the planners of the halftime show called Rice University to see if anyone there could help out:
“They couldn’t tell me anything about it other than they needed me to make a throw. Then they told me I had to work every day from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m., that I would not be able to watch the game, and that they couldn’t pay me. So me being the great negotiator I am, I said ‘I’m in.’”
Find the story HERE.
New Dartmouth offensive coordinator Kevin Daft gets a mention in the notes following a story about Dan Hawkins becoming head coach at UC Davis, Daft's last stop before Dartmouth. (LINK)
And finally, a little levity in the NBC Evening News, even if it didn't get mentioned. Check out this screen shot from a report last night on yet another Donald Trump protest:


Look closely at the sign being held up behind the fellow with the orange hat.

Back when I used to do profiles of Dartmouth football players for the media guide I would ask them their favorite movie. After Shawshank Redemption and Braveheart perhaps the most popular movie was The Sandlot, the sweet 1993 coming-of-age baseball flick. (LINK)

Take another look at the sign above and then watch the first 30 seconds of this one-minute clip from the movie: