Monday, April 01, 2024

Curious Indeed

Wide receiver Drew Estrada graduated from Dartmouth, had a terrific year as a grad transfer at Baylor and then signed with the Houston Texans, but he never saw anyone throw a football quite like this:

“I was planning on running a few 10-yard slants to get him warmed up, but the first one came so fast I could barely see it," he said after a Dartmouth teammate fired a pass to him. "Next thing I knew I was picking myself up off the ground — he hit me right in the chest and knocked me clean off my feet! Once I caught my breath, I told him that was enough warming up.” 

Click on the picture to read the full story, which came out several years ago but is worth reading (or re-reading as the case may be):

If that link didn't work, click HERE to read Rick Bender's story.*

#

In a look at the United Football League's uniforms, the website UniWatch posted the photo below this morning along with this explanation (LINK):

This photo shows the green and white “BT” sticker that all eight teams have on the back of their helmets. That is to honor the recently departed Buddy Teevens, former Dartmouth coach and a pioneer in promoting player safety. 


Former Dartmouth offensive lineman Matt Kaskey, who plays for the UFL's Birmingham Stallions, offered a closer-look at the helmet and decal:


#

While BGA Premium will be going dark this fall, I will still be offering a little still-to-be-determined type of coverage. In the meantime, there will be a story going up on the BGA Premium site in advance of the start of spring football practice. It will not be behind a paywall and will be freely available to everyone – as all of last year's stories will continue to be – until the site comes down.

The Premium site will give you a 404 error message in another week or two, so keep stopping by this electronic precinct for an update on where to find whatever coverage will be available this spring and next fall.

And speaking of spring football, here's a graphic from the Dartmouth football social media with practice dates:

Image


#

EXTRA POINT
Speaking of April Fools' . . . 


#

* The Curious Son of Sidd Finch was an award-winning story by Rick Bender, who headed up Dartmouth sports publicity until he was let go last month. Bender and Cindi Mansell, the longtime assistant who helped make the Big Green sports information office one of, if not the best in Ivy League, are already sorely missed.

Green Alert Take: I wish I could tell you the dismissal of Bender and Mansell was an April Fools' deal, but I can't.