Tuesday, March 07, 2006

You Simply Aren't Going to Believe This ...

That headline is what the TV heads call a tease.

Believe it or not, you can post comments on the stories I link to here on the blog. Really. You can straighten me out when you disagree with one of my opinions (don't worry, I can take it) or pat me on the back when you agree with something I say (gotta admit I like that better). You can point out typos and grammatical missteps (they are all typos, of course ;-) that occur when you write quickly and without an editor. Or you can tease me when mud season comes and I take a time out from singing the praises of my Moose Mountain hideaway to have my car towed out of two feet of muck. And when you do it, you can remain completely anonymous if you choose, even from me.

(This note was prompted by a reader who hopes the blog can get a little more discussion going about Dartmouth football.)

For what it's worth, I've avoided having a message board on the regular Green Alert site because I've seen how those things can devolve, but the comment section of this blog can work much the same way. The only caveat is that all comments have to be cleared by me.

The Internet was in its infancy when I was in graduate school, but I can clearly hear my successors in the journalism masters program at Penn State asking, What about freedom of the press? The answer they'll get is the same I got when I asked the question: "Freedom of the press is for the (man) who owns one. "

And now for some tpyos to get thigns started ...

No comments: