Sunday, November 15, 2020

Sunday Stuff

Again, no luck finding the old BGA Premium story about this week's Woods Watch Party game from 2011 so, in case you missed it watching the Masters, here's the replay:

 

The Dartmouth caught up with Athletic Director Harry Sheehy for a Q&A in light of the Ivy League's decision to cancel the winter sports season. Lots to digest HERE.

A couple of bullet points from the Q&A with one being somewhat surprising and one not at all surprising.

• The surprising one: Sheehy pitched a graduate eligibility trial to the Ivy League and had Dartmouth President Phil Hanlon's support, only to see his proposition voted down. Sheehy: 

Give them a one-year waiver, league. Then, if you actually are philosophically against graduate students playing at the Ivy League, even though they've been admitted on their own into a graduate program on our campuses, if there's something philosophically wacky about that that you don't like, just end it. But for this group with what they've gone through, I actually thought it was a little heartless not to do it.

• The not surprising one: From a purely practical point of view, playing fall sports in the spring was pretty much a non-starter from the outset. Sheehy:

I said to Richard Whitmore, who's a senior associate and runs the operations of our department, “I want you to look at this and tell me if this is feasible.” I think all eight Ivy League schools came up with the same answer: It's actually unmanageable.

Regarding spring football practice, Sheehy said he has his fingers crossed that everything returns to normal and "football gets 12 practices and a scrimmage. I'm hopeful we can just get that back."

Dartmouth grad Micah Croom has yet to be credited with his first tackle for 2-0 USC, but per the Trojan participation stats he's played in both games.

Your mileage may vary – and mine does – but now that he's been to all Ivy League stadiums, the fellow who runs the Stadium and Arena Visits website has ranked the facilities around the Ivy League. Dartmouth is the winner for "Overall Stadium Experience," with Harvard second, Penn third, Princeton fourth and Cornell bringing up the rear. (LINK)

Memorial Field also tops the rankings for "Exterior," with the author writing:

The one that really stood out was Memorial Field and that likely was because of the perfect time of year that I visited. The Ivy on the brick walls were turning beautiful reds and yellows for the October game I saw and being in the quaint New England town of Hanover at the time, just set the stage perfectly for football as I entered into the stadium.

Green Alert Take: That exterior wall was painstakingly saved when the home stands were demolished and rebuilt a handful of years ago.

Find the Stadium and Arena Visits review of Memorial Field HERE.

Interestingly, the new ranking of Ivy League stadiums comes after MoneyWise included two Ivy League facilities among its 40 "very worst" stadiums. Wanna guess which made the list? CLICK HERE to find out which they are.

Nah, I'm not going to tease you like that. Harvard Stadium comes in as the 36th worst in Division I and Yale Bowl at 33. Vanderbilt takes top (make that bottom) honors.

Green Alert Take: Tripe.

EXTRA POINT

That book I mentioned the other day that I was reading, the one about the hermit who lived in the woods of Maine and broke into summer cabins and a camp for 27 years to secure food and provisions? (LINK) When he was finally captured they found he had a small amount of money and because he never spent any of it, the bills had actually become moldy.

Given increasing concern about the pandemic, it has been several weeks since I've been anywhere other than the free-standing, one-room post office where I pick up our mail, and a nearby hiking trail, where I get my exercise. Both are within two miles of our house.

I honestly can't remember the last time I opened my wallet. Whatever few bills I have aren't moldy – yet – but if something doesn't change soon . . .