Monday, April 12, 2021

Two-Fers

 Another quiet day and another trip into the record books . . .

Two-sport athletes at Dartmouth have become rare, two-sport football players even rarer. and two-sport football stars? They seem to be extinct.

Since the start of formal Ivy League competition in 1956 Dartmouth has had just six athletes make the All-Ivy League first team in football as well as in another sport. No one has accomplished that feat in more than 40 years. Here's the list of the Super Six:

Alan Rozycki '61
All-Ivy League running back 1960
All-Ivy League lacrosse 1960

Bill King '63
All-Ivy League quarterback 1961, 1962
All-Ivy League lacrosse 1962, 1963

Skip Cummins '76
All-Ivy League linebacker 1974, 1975
All-Ivy League track 1975, 1975

Reggie Williams '76
All-Ivy League linebacker 1973, 1974, 1975
All-Ivy League wrestler 1973, 1974, 1975

Kevin Young '77
All-Ivy League linebacker 1976
All-Ivy League wrestler 1975, 1976

Jeff Hickey '79
All-Ivy League defensive end 1978
All-Ivy League lacrosse 1978, 1979

All three Dartmouth football coaches who graduated from the college played two sports during their Big Green careers:

• In addition to quarterbacking the football  team, head coach Buddy Teevens played wing on the Dartmouth ice hockey team that finished third in the nation his senior season, posting three goals and four assists.

• Wide receivers coach David Shula earned a letter on the baseball diamond.

• Nickels coach Kyle Cavanaugh also lettered in baseball.

When Dartmouth opens the 2021 home football season on Sept. 25 it will find an NCAA playoff team on the other side of the field.

Julius Chestnut ran for 173 yards yesterday as Sacred Heart clinched its first trip to the playoffs with a 34-27 overtime win at Duquesne. The Pioneers were cruising with a 27-13 lead heading into the fourth quarter only to see the Dukes score twice in the final 12 minutes to force overtime.

Sacred Heart went ahead on a 29-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-14 in the top half of the overtime period and then recovered a Duquesne fumble on a first-down play at the three to end the game.

Sacred Heart, which lost at Duquesne in the spring opener, is now 3-1. The Duke finish 4-1. The NCAA draw will be Sunday.

From the University of Central Florida football after the school chose to allow its football players to put their Twitter handles on the back of their jerseys this spring:

Green Alert Take: Do you know the children's picture book, Good Dog Carl? When our kids were young the book was ubiquitous in our home. All these years later when one of us – that's me or Mrs. BGA – has an idea that has other shaking their head, we'll occasionally say, "Bad Idea, Carl." (Maybe you have to be there ;-)

If you ask me (and you didn't, I know) putting Twitter handles on shirts belongs firmly in the "Bad Idea, Carl" category.

I spend more time than I care to admit ferreting out news on Twitter for BGA Daily. What I've seen time and time again is that even Ivy League kids mindlessly (I hope) toss stuff up on the social platform that you would not want your mother, a would-be employer or an admissions director to read.

In fact, there was a football recruit at an Ivy school last year who actually lost his admission slot because of something he posted on social media and another at Dartmouth a few years back who barely avoided the same fate.

I know there are sports information directors who think sharing athlete Twitter handles is a great way to get publicity for their kids but if I were back in the SID world, not only would I not publicize athlete handles, but after reminding the athletes about the dangers of Twitter I'd encourage them to make their accounts private.

EXTRA POINT
Saturday's U.S. mail brought a little help for BGA and encouragement to keep it going. It was much appreciated and I'll be sending a note out saying as much later today.

That the help came from a BGA Premium subscriber reminded me it's time I share a little story.

BGA Daily started 17 years ago as a "loss leader," a page intended to "lead" people to the premium site. Make no mistake, it long ago outlived that charge.

I keep it going – and keep it public – because spreading the word about Dartmouth football as widely as I can is one thing I can do to thank coach Buddy Teevens, his program and the Dartmouth sports information office for allowing me the access I've enjoyed all these years.

For several year I had Google ads on BGA Daily and they bought a tank of gas each month if I was lucky, but at one point something happened, the ads disappeared and I can't get 'em back. (Not that I really want to.)

Which brings me back to Saturday's mail.

The invitation over there on the right to help out BGA Daily was not intended for BGA Premium subscribers. You are already more than doing your part.

It went up in the hope that at least a few of the thousands who visit BGA Daily each week but do not subscribe would toss something in the bucket. But here's the thing that amazes me. In all the time the invitation has been there to help out I may have heard from a half dozen readers who are not subscribers and it might be even fewer than that. That's out of thousands of regular visitors.

Some folks who run sites like this invite readers to buy them a coffee or a six pack. I've never even tasted coffee and I don't like beer, so I thought I'd get a little cute and hand the stage to Griff the Wonder Dog.

I guess it was a "Bad idea, Carl."