Sunday, May 30, 2021

Worth Watching Again. And Again. And Again.

 From Dartmouth's celebration of Asian & Pacific Islander Heritage Month:

On the subject of the "Miracle in Cambridge," it took a lot of fiddling with a couple of "freeware" programs to turn this into a GIF and figure out how to post it here, but this is fun and should work better after the first time it cycles through:


It seems as if every time I watch it I see something new, from the actual tip, to the catch, to the reactions of players looking on to the various fans in the background.
#
This is from a few days back but NJ.com has a story headlined Giants roster breakdown that includes this (LINK):

EDGE Niko Lalos: He was a fun story last year coming out of Dartmouth as a UDFA and making an impact on a few games, but he’s a long shot now.

#

EXTRA POINT
I finished a novel the other day and before I downloaded a new one onto my Kindle I pawed through the bookshelves here at the BGA World Headquarters hungry for something to read. We donated a great many books when we (supposedly) downsized with our move to our Vermont hillside, but there was one set of well-worn, hardcover volumes I would never part with. Here's how they are described on the Internet:

"Journeys Through Bookland, published in 1901 by Bellows-Reeve Company, contains 10 volumes of poems, myths, Bible stories, fairy tales, and excerpts from children's novels, as well as a guide to the series. It has been lauded as "a new and original plan for reading, applied to the world’s best literature for children."

I can't begin to tell you how many hours I spent with these books growing up. Time and again I would pull them off the shelf and get lost in Gulliver's Travels, The Swiss Family Robinson, A Dog of Flanders and so many more stories and poems and pen-and-ink drawings.

I eventually downloaded a thriller written by an old friend onto my Kindle the other day. After I swipe to the final page I'm sure I'll probably send the author an email telling him how much I enjoyed it. But no matter how good his book is, it could never sweep me away to imagined places the way those battered old books on the shelf did all those years ago.