Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Almost 100 Years Ago . . .

This may drive you nuts after a while, but it's kind of fun until it does. It's a video of a 1922 recording by Dartmouth College band playing As the Backs Go Tearing By, a song you will hear to this day:

#
Big Blue View is taking a look at players on the 90-man roster the New York Giants are bringing to camp this summer and starts a recent entry this way (LINK):
Niko Lalos went from being an undrafted free agent out of the Ivy League to a contributing defender and fan favorite for the New York Giants a season ago. Can his Cinderella story continue in 2021?

The posting on the former Dartmouth defensive end finishes this way:

2021 Outlook

Lalos seems to be a “bubble” player entering training camp. He provided a short-term, somewhat unexpected, boost to the Giants’ defense a year ago. With lots of new faces on the 90-man roster on the edge and at defensive end, Lalos faces competition to remain on the roster. He does have practice squad eligibility, and in my view that is likely where he will end up.

#

Sites like BGA Daily aren't the only ones struggling to find something to post during the dog days of summer. Sports Information offices can also have difficulty digging up things to post, which is why they "announce" or "unveil" football schedules fans already know.

Penn made its 2021 football schedule official yesterday (LINK) with the proviso, "All dates are subject to change."

Green Alert Take: Like Dartmouth, Penn has its game against the Big Green listed for Saturday, Oct. 2. Do not be surprised if that "subject to change" thing comes into play for that game. The Dartmouth-Penn game has been switched to Friday night in the past and it would not be in any way a surprise if it happens again this year. In fact, I'm betting on it. Figuratively, of course ;-)

#

It's a sad time for Sept. 25 Dartmouth opponent Sacred Heart with news that former Pioneer running back standout Keshaudas Spence was killed in a shooting in Pawtucket, R.I., last weekend. He was 29 years old. (LINK)

Spence was a thorn in Dartmouth's side the two times the Big Green faced him. In 2011 he ran for 129 yards and two touchdowns while helping the Pioneers to a 24-21 win in Connecticut and the next year he had 138 yards and three touchdowns as they won in Hanover, 27-10.

#

EXTRA POINT
Those of you who have been around this electronic precinct for a while know that I don't have a cell phone and have absolutely no interest in owning one.

That being the case, when we moved to our Vermont hillside home a little over two years ago we had a landline installed. Yup, they still have those, and the phone works just fine, thank you very much.

But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

I should say the landline works just fine on incoming calls. As for outgoing calls, they are fine as well – once you figure out what you have to dial.

I'm not sure if it's a Vermont thing or if it is an across-the-board change but whether I am calling somewhere in town, elsewhere in the state or across the river in New Hampshire, I almost never get through on my first attempt. Virtually every time I get a recording telling me I have made some kind of dialing mistake. I either do or don't have to dial a 1 before the number. Sometimes I have to use the 802 area code even though we live in the 802 area code, which seems silly. Sometimes it's 1+802, sometimes it's just 1 and sometimes it might be 802, without the 1 – although I'm still not sure about that last one.

True story. There have been times I've had to dial a number four or five times before I finally stumble into the right combination. And I swear, they change the rules from day to day.

I don't know if cell phones have the same issues but it's almost (read: almost ;-) enough to get me to start thinking about getting one of those things.