Friday, June 18, 2021

Names And Numbers

Dartmouth football has posted three more brief introductory videos with incoming freshmen. Click their names to watch:

 John Ballowe, 6-2, 215 linebacker

• Ahmir Braxton, 6-0, 175 defensive back

Cayman Duncan, 6-6, 295 offensive lineman

 (Be sure to click the speaker button to get sound while watching.)

#

With the Dartmouth freshmen finally being introduced via Twitter and Instagram this seemed to be a good time to take a look at rosters around the Ivy League. Unfortunately, only five of the eight have been updated for 2021 with Penn, Princeton and Yale the outliers. (Dartmouth has updated its roster but has not yet added in the freshmen.)

Here's how the rosters shape up by class participation:

Brown
1 Graduate Student
27 Seniors (Including Fifth Years)
32 Juniors
29 Sophomores
29 Freshmen

Columbia
44 Seniors/Fifth Years (and possible Graduate Students)
28 Juniors
32 Sophomores
29 Freshmen

Cornell
1 Graduate Student
21 Fifth Years
32 Seniors
23 Juniors
N/A Freshmen 

Dartmouth
2 Graduate Students
10 Fifth Years
29 Seniors
32 Juniors
29 Freshmen (Per BGA)

Harvard
50 Seniors/Fifth Years (and possible Graduate Students)
32 Juniors
34 Sophomores
26 Freshmen

(Working up the Harvard numbers was tricky because both freshmen and sophomores were classified as "first-years," and other classes were not promoted, ie. the juniors were referred to as sophomores for eligibility purposes, etc. Also, Brown and Columbia, like Harvard, did not break out fifth-years.)

Add it up and in a league where seniority is of great value, here is how the schools stand with regard to true seniors plus fifth-years plus grad students:

54 Cornell
50 Harvard
44 Columbia
41 Dartmouth
28 Brown

#

EXTRA POINT
Each day as I make the two-mile drive to the trailhead a few minutes after 6 a.m. I pass a woman in a chartreuse T-shirt and black sweat pants running in my direction. I am likely the only car she will see. I slow, pull to the other side of the narrow and winding dirt road and wave as I go by. She always waves back.

I don't know the woman's name. I don't know where she lives. I have been tempted to stop the car, roll the window down and tell her how impressed I am to see her each morning because it seems clear she is making a serious effort to lose weight.

I do not stop. I do not roll the window down. I do not say anything because I do not want to offend her. So I just smile and wave and marvel each morning at the woman's determination.