Thursday, October 21, 2021

Countdown To Columbia

The latest Teevens Teleteaser from Dartmouth:

 

#

Find Dartmouth's game notes HERE.

Columbia's game notes are HERE.

#

Columbia sports information has a look at Ivy League rushing leader Dante Miller with links to clips of his 41- and 75-yard touchdown runs against Penn HERE.

Green Alert Take: He's fast, no doubt. But don't for a second buy that bit about the 4.25 time in the 40 ;-)

#

#
Jake Novak at Roar Lions 2021 has posted his weekly power rankings and they look like this:

1. Princeton
2. Dartmouth
3. Harvard
4. Columbia
5. Yale
6. Brown
7. Cornell
8. Penn

#

EXTRA POINT
Given that it is car inspection week for us, I followed Mrs. BGA into town this morning so I could cart her to the bus to Hanover after dropping her car at the garage. This afternoon I will pick her up at the park & ride where the bus leaves her and shuttle her back to pick up her car, which hopefully will have passed inspection. The VW bus goes in tomorrow. Pray for us.

Our new EV does not have to be inspected until next year and fortunately it came with free lifetime inspection at the dealer. That's probably a good thing. I'm imagining a mechanic wandering around the car trying to find the tail pipe to check the exhaust. The car has neither a tail pipe nor exhaust.

Inspection always has me remembering the time I took my grandmother's car for inspection in New Jersey. Back then there was a long, factory-looking building you drove into and made several stops inside. At one you had to flick on the lights and then the high beams. There was a least one more stop. I don't remember what that one was for. Maybe wipers and horn.

At one point you got out of the car and someone hopped in, hit the gas and then stomped the brakes. Probably not the most scientific test ever. Anyway, I clearly remember the guy getting out of the car and saying to me almost casually, "You are going to have to get the brakes fixed." OK, I thought, "Nana is going to have to get them fixed."

The inspector put a red "failed" sticker on the car and I drove out of the facility. I made a right turn, went under some railroad tracks and after passing through a traffic light applied the brakes . . . and . . . nothing . . . happened. Tried it again and the brake pedal clunked on the floor with no resistance at all.

I ended up leaving the car to be towed and walked home. I still shake my head at the memory of the guy saying I needed to get the brakes fixed but then letting me drive the car out of the inspection station without a little more warning.