Friday, May 20, 2022

The List Revisited

Culled from a HERO Sports list, here is an updated list of Ivy League football players who intend to play elsewhere this fall.

Three points to consider:

• HERO's list is still a work in progress. (I added Dartmouth's Jalen Mackie, heading to UMass, and James Jones III, who yesterday announced his intention to play at New Mexico State. I also added Columbia running back Dante Miller, who is walking on at South Carolina. I'm sure there are more I haven't found.)

• The list does not break down which transfers had used up their Ivy League eligibility, which would be interesting. In Dartmouth's case, the two transfers who could not have returned for a COVID super senior season are Jones and Jake Guidone.

• The list does not include players transferring down, including Dartmouth defensive end Nate Boone, headed to DIII Case Western Reserve.

COLUMBIA
LB Cam Dillon – Rice
DL Paul Akere – Virginia
DB Jordan Colbert – Rhode Island
RB Dante Miller – South Carolina

CORNELL
OL Hunter Nourzad – Penn State
DB Isaiah Hogan – Cal Poly
DB Devon Brewer – Stetson
DB Michal irons – Tarleton
WR Curtis Raymond – TCU

DARTMOUTH
CB Isaiah Johnson – Syracuse
OL Jake Guidone – UConn
TE Robbie Mangas – Buffalo
OL John Paul Flores – Virginia
LB Jalen Mackie – UMass
TE – James Jones III – New Mexico State

HARVARD
DL Chris Smith – Minnesota Notre Dame
OL Spencer Rolland – North Carolina
DL Jacob Sykes – UCLA
DB Khalid Thomas – Samford
DL Anthony Nelson – Villanova
LB Daniel Abraman – Villanova

PRINCETON
P George Triplett – Portland State

YALE
TE Major Roman – Wagner

Transfers TO schools on Dartmouth's schedule:

NEW HAMPSHIRE
DL Pierece DeVaughn – UConn
WR Heron Maurisseau –UConn
DL Kyle Finnick – Dayton

SACRED HEART
QB Cade Pribula – Delaware
TE Mike Bevino – Colgate
DL Nick Foglia – Marist
WR Devin Young – Maine

Editor's Note: Have someone to add to the list? Email me and I'll add the name to the list.

#

Speaking of transfers . . .

#

Each NFL team has been asked by the league to choose two minority members of its front office to take part in the NFL's inaugural Coach and Front Office Accelerator Program. The Minnesota Vikings chose two former Ivy League players – including one from Dartmouth – as prospective general manager candidates.

Chosen were former Big Green corner Chris Blanco '07, Minnesota's assistant director of pro scouting, and former Princeton wide receiver Chison Opara, a national scout for the team.

Find Chris Blanco's Dartmouth bio HERE.  He joined the Vikings last June after spending nine years as a pro scout with the Houston Texans. He holds a law degree from the University of Iowa.

#

EXTRA POINT
Love the solar tracker that gives us free electricity. Given the price of gasoline, we're really loving our Chevy Bolt electric car (even while we await a battery pack transplant).

Not loving the electric lawn tractor.

Originally running for 2-plus hours on a charge, 2½ years after we bought it the tractor is down to less than 10 minutes of run time. According to the manufacturer, battery degradation might have taken perhaps a dozen minutes off the 2-plus hours, but that's it.

A deep dive on internet forums has me hoping it's just a bad cell in one of the tractor's four batteries, and that, in turn, is sickening the other three.

It's also sickening me. I spent seven hours earlier this week constantly filling the tank and walking behind my gas mower and when I finished I was flat-out beat. With rain the last couple of days I know I'll be back out there to do it all over again by early next week unless I can get the tractor fixed.

I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd gladly pay whatever I needed to pay to get the electric tractor back up to speed but there's a problem. When I went to the manufacturer's website and chatted with a rep, he said there isn't a service center anywhere remotely near here. Home Depot, where we bought the tractor, said they would ship it out for us if we hauled it down there. Now that would be expensive – and I probably wouldn't see it back until summer was over.

If it's just the battery problem I may be in luck.

I found a complete step-by-step YouTube video showing how to pull and test the 12-volt, 100 ah batteries. Trust me, the process is nowhere near as straight forward as it is in your car.

I'll have the laptop out in the garage walking me through the process step-by-step later today or tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed that the problem really is just one of the four batteries and that I can find a replacement. Oh, and that I can reassemble everything successfully without electrocuting myself.

Otherwise it's going to be a really long summer.