Wednesday, June 29, 2022

TV Ad Nauseam

Following up on yesterday's posting about this year's TV games, here's more than you ever wanted to know about Dartmouth's football history on the tube worked up from the program's own Dartmouth Football on Television page HERE. (For the record, while that page includes a few somewhat dubious stations, it does not include ESPN+ contests.)

Dartmouth's first televised game: Holy Cross 28, Dartmouth 6 on Sept. 26, 1953 from Lynn, Mass.
Dartmouth's all-time TV record: 47-62-1

Longest TV Wins Streak:
    5 – Oct. 22, 1955-Nov. 13, 1965
    5 – Sept. 23, 1995-Oct. 4, 1997
    5 – Oct. 4, 2019-Oct. 16, 2021

Longest TV Losing Streak:
    12 – Sept. 20, 2008-Oct. 29, 2011

Number of Televised Games Against
Harvard – 21
Penn – 15
Yale – 14
Cornell – 10
New Hampshire  – 10
Columbia – 8
Brown – 8
Princeton – 8
Holy Cross – 5
Lehigh – 4
Colgate – 3
Fordham – 1
Lafayette  – 1
Massachusetts – 1
Navy – 1

Records Against Opponents On TV
Fordham – 1-0
Lafayette  – 1-0
Massachusetts – 1-0
Cornell – 8-2
Brown – 5-3
Holy Cross – 3-2
Columbia – 4-4
Princeton – 4-4
Yale – 6-8
Harvard – 7-13-1
Penn – 4-11
New Hampshire – 2-8
Lehigh  – 1-3
Navy – 0-1
Colgate – 0-3

Most Frequent Broadcast Locations
Hanover – 58 games
Cambridge – 11 games
Philadelphia – 7 games
New Haven – 6 games
New York City – 5 games

Games By TV Outlet
ABC-9 (Manchester, N.H.) – 22
ABC – 12
NESN – 9
ESPNU – 7
Fox College – 7
NBC Sports – 7
ESPN – 5
PBS – 5
Charter TV3 (Worcester, Mass.) – 3
NBC – 3
One World – 3
Versus – 3
WFMZ-69 – 3
YES – 3
CBS – 2
NBC Regional – 2
SportsChannel – 2
Time-Warner – 2
American Sports Network – 1
CN-8 (Philadelphia) – 1
Comcast (Philadelphia) – 1
CSNNE – 1
Eleven Sports – 1
Freedom Network – 1
NBC Sports Regional – 1
SNY – 1
WLIG-55 – 1

#
EXTRA POINT
I got home from my hike this morning only to hear a periodic chirping sound coming from upstairs. I had a hunch what it was and I wasn't happy about it.

As I suspected, it was a smoke detector and, lucky me, it happened to be the one in the home office of the BGA World Headquarters.

And why wasn't I happy about it? Because the last time we had a smoke detector alerting us that its battery needed to be replaced it was the middle of the night and the Rubik's Cube engineering of the thing left us scrambling for a long time looking for the instructions on how to open it up and get at the battery. In the end we had to watch a YouTube video to figure the thing out.

This time I actually recalled having seen the smoke detector manual in a junk drawer in the past week or so while I was looking for something else. Off I went, rifling through the drawer and then a pile of manuals for the dishwasher, robot vacuum, garage door opener, oven, air exchanger and more before, eureka! I found it!

Alas, it was in several different languages and none of them were English. The previous owners had left the manual for us but not the only one that mattered.

And so it was back to YouTube trying to find a video offering tips on replacing the battery in our model. I eventually found one that was close enough and managed to access the battery compartment. Fortunately, I had fresh batteries – but even when I finally got them in, it wouldn't stop chirping. 

Figuring it couldn't hurt, I hit the "test" button.

Well, it did hurt.

My ears.

All of a sudden, from all around the house I heard a piercing scream and a robotic voice shouting, "Evacuate. Evacuate." (I can promise you the piercing sound would do it for me. I don't need the suggestion to leave the house.) I found myself half wondering if passers by were going to run up to the front door and break it down or the fire department was going to roar up our driveway. 

Try as I might, I couldn't get the detector to shut up. Back to YouTube and then the web I went, and that proved fruitless. I finally decided to push the test button again, wondering if maybe I needed to hold it for three seconds or something.

I'm not sure what I did but, mercifully, the noise finally stopped. I waited, expecting another chirp or my friend Mr. Alert telling me to Evacuate. Evacuate.

But I heard nothing but Wonderful silence and Griff the Wonder Dog snoring under my desk.

I could finally start in on BGA Daily.

Two things. 

First, I'm a little later than usual today. Now you know why.

And second, do the engineers who design smoke detectors understand that the trickier it is to replace the batteries the more likely it is that people are going to eventually give up and disconnect them? It shouldn't be this hard.