Friday, July 01, 2022

Friday Fun

Happy Canada Day to our friends from The True North. To get in the spirit, click here and listen to what has to be one of the most beautiful – and eminently singable – national anthems in the world.

#

I’m not sure how I missed this when it was first posted but here’s a 4 1/2 minute look at Memorial Field. To be honest, it gets a little old after about the first 90 seconds but it’s worth a look:

 

#

The Dartmouth football office has posted the highlight package from the Big Green's win over Princeton at Yankee Stadium in 2019 on its social media:

You can watch the entire Dartmouth-Princeton game from Yankee Stadium HERE until ESPN or YouTube catch on and force the video to be taken down. (Mac people who want to save the game to their computers before that happens can download  using the free Clipgrab app or some other software.)

#

Something called Big Blue View has few paragraphs HERE under the headline, Niko Lalos competing to stick with Giants for third season; Lalos faces a lot of competition in that effort but offers nothing new regarding the former Dartmouth linebacker.

#

Signup for the 2022 cycle of BGA Premium begins today. A few reminders:

• If you are a returning subscriber your password will remain the same. If you forgot it, there's an itty bitty link that says "Forgot?" under the padlock icon on the Member Login page. Click that and you'll be prompted to reset your password.

• For new subscribers there is a link on the signup page that you need to click to send me an email notification. The first time I'm online after receiving that email I will send you the link you need in order to complete your membership. Usually that's within an hour or so, but it will be longer if I'm away from my computer. In any case, it will be the same day. (It would be a lot easier if the entire process was automated but that's never been remotely in the BGA budget.)

#

EXTRA POINT
Trading emails with the father of a player the other day I asked what the player was doing for the summer. A lot of the time that means internships on Wall Street or in commercial real estate in Chicago or the like. This player is battling 95-degree heat doing work that is a lot less glamorous. I have a lot of respect for that and can relate.

Between college and grad school I worked for Bekins Moving and Storage. While I spent a lot of time battling hide-a-beds, triple dressers, armoires and upright pianos with the likes of Coot, Collie and a cross-eyed driver named George, one of my most vivid memories has nothing to do with carrying furniture. It is from a 90-plus degree day when instead of humping ridiculously heavy dish barrels on my back I was on a crew packing box after box after box with the shipper's "junk."

As one of the "college boys," I usually got stuck packing up basement tool benches and dirty garages and the like. On this day, I was dispatched to an unventilated attic. I don't remember how many hours I was up there but I do remember it was absolutely brutal, so hot that even having stripped off my green Bekins T-shirt I was soaking wet within minutes.

When we called it a day around 4 p.m. I grabbed my "tape gun," knife and marker, but when I looked around for my shirt it was nowhere to be seen. I can't say for sure but guess I'd packed up 25 or 30 "medium" and "large" boxes and realized, to my horror, my shirt was inside one of them.

I wasn't about to slice open all those boxes searching for my shirt so I had no choice but to get creative. I took two large sheets of the white newsprint we used to wrap up breakables, taped them loosely together on the sides, cut out an opening for my head and drew the Bekins logo on the front. I remember sheepishly coming down from the attic wearing my paper shirt and telling the shippers they would find my shirt in one of their boxes down in Florida or out in California or wherever they were going.

So no, I didn't do a fancy internship that summer, but I'm going to guess I've got better stories than the guys who did. Like sitting on the left of the driver one time when we had five guys in the cab of a truck. Or the time we were in a donut shop and saw our 18-wheeler roll backwards out of a parking lot and across an intersection before slowing to a stop, fortunately without hitting anything or anyone. Or the time I was in the passenger seat when a driver who came to be nicknamed "Crash" totaled our truck at a toll booth on the way to Florida. Or how we tried to clean up when the baron and baroness whose furniture we just finished unloading invited us to stay and have dinner with them in their mansion. That after three days on the road without a shower. Oh the stories I could tell . . .