Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Another Initiative to End Playoff Ban

From yesterday's Harvard Crimson:
"The Undergraduate Council (UC) last night called upon University President Lawrence H. Summers to press the Council of Ivy Group Presidents, the governing body of the Ivy League athletic conference, to end a rule that prevents Harvard’s football squad from playing in the postseason."

Now Princeton and Harvard have both brought the issue of the playoff ban to the front burner. (See this earlier post to read about the Princeton iniative.) It will be interesting to see if Dartmouth and other schools follow their lead. I believe at some point the presidents will have no choice but to explain and attempt to justify the exclusionary policy (which they have never done even remotely to the satisfaction of those involved) or to change it. I also believe the more people know about the policy, the better chance it will be changed. Princeton and Harvard, to their credit, have started to shine the light on the issue.

Several times in the fall I mentioned former offensive lineman Mike McCune '91 is a sports anchor for WCAX TV in Burlington, Vt.. The station must have updated his bio or something because a link popped up on my computer this morning so I figured I'd share it. To catch up with Mike, click here.

I just saw a story in the New York Times about some high school seniors applying to 20 or more colleges. The story says times have changed. I guess they have.

No comments: