Monday, May 08, 2006

New Captain Comments

I had a chance to grab a few brief comments from newly elected captains Mike Rabil and Preston Copley immediately after Saturday's post-scrimmage barbecue.

Mike Rabil: "It hasn't really sunk in yet. There's so much tradition here that to be selected by my peers I'm at a loss for words. I'm excited. My main reason to come back (as a fifth-year senior) was so we could win, no personal accolades. I really want to turn this thing around. I'm really competitive and I think Coach Teevens has brought in a system that I want to be a part of as long as I can. Hopefully we can turn this thing around. It's all I'm really focused on."



Preston Copley: "I'm completely floored. It's such an honor. It's your dream as a kid just to play in college so this is just icing on the cake. It's absolutely amazing. It's a big responsibility. I'm glad the guys had faith in me. I'm going to do my best for the team, just like the others will. (Last year's captains) Josh Dooley and Anthony Gargiulo are not guys that come around every year. I know full well that those footsteps are there for me to follow. I'm just glad to have been on their team and have the chance to see how they led. It's their groundwork that has been laid."
(Photos courtesy of Dartmouth Sports Information)

The Daily Dartmouth has a recap of the Green-White in today's edition. For more photos and a parent's perspective on the afternoon, check out Sue Cummings' Dartmouth Football Parents News & Notes site. ... Former tailback Ray Rochester, now the Vermont Golden Gloves super heavyweight champion, scored an impressive knockout in Fight Night at Dartmouth action over the weekend.

A couple of names to add to the growing list of Dartmouth opponents heading to pro camps in a bit: Princeton linebacker Justin Stull to the Redskins and Holy Cross utility back Steve Silva to the Buccaneers. ... A little more on the "Name Change that Wasn't" and another suggestion for what Division I-AA might be called. ... The UNH outlook is available if you dare. ... Here's a stunner: Colgate has put video of its incoming recruits up on the Raiders' football web site. If you've got a fast-enough connection, this can be kind of fun. Not many I-AA schools take publicizing their programs this seriously. I went straight to their tailback recruit to see who Dartmouth might be chasing for the next four years and he looked like a typical Colgate back. Tough to catch.

No comments: