Friday, July 26, 2013

Take A Look

Dartmouth athletics issued a news release yesterday with information on its new digital network for streaming games – home and away. The release begins this way:
HANOVER, N.H. — Dartmouth Athletics, in partnership with NeuLion, announced today the upcoming launch of its brand new channel on the first-ever Ivy League Digital Network, featuring enhanced live video streaming of home games and extensive coverage of Big Green road contests against Ivy League foes.
Here's the gist:
Available now for a limited time at DartmouthSports.com, fans can purchase a discounted 12-month package to Big Green Insider at a special introductory price of $71.95. The package includes multi-camera HD coverage of all home games in football, men’s and women’s basketball, and men’s and women’s hockey; HD streaming of home events in many other sports; and, for the first time, live coverage of all Ivy away games in football, basketball and hockey as well as many league away contests in other sports. These events will also be available on-demand for viewing at any time.
The Ivy League has a release here. To sign up for the Ivy League Digital Network, click here.
Cover of the Bucknell media guide
Opponent page featuring Dartmouth

Interested in learning more about Dartmouth's Week 5 opponent Bucknell? Check out the Bison media guide here. It's also available as a PDF that you can save to your computer here.

Green Alert Take: I'm a huge fan of traditional media guides, which can be downloaded and printed in one fell swoop. To be able to 1) print it, 2) read the thing offline and 3) go from section to section, page to page, bio to bio without having to click link after link is an absolutely huge convenience.

To quote Steve Jobs, there's one more thing. On the bookshelf to my left as I write this I have every Dartmouth football media guide dating back to the early '80s. If I need something, I can find it. Only time will tell if bios from the last several years will be available online two or three decades down the road. I will admit I have my doubts. But this much I know for sure: If I print the Bucknell guide I will have access to those bios for years to come.

Believe me, I know from firsthand experience that media guides like Bucknell's aren't much fun to pull together but kudos to the Patriot League school for keeping at it. Bucknell is not just providing information for fans and media, but also compiling a terrific keepsake for players and their families. Not a bad recruiting tool either, come to think of it.
Now I'm off to Hanover Country Club for the annual Tommy Keane Invitational golf tournament, which has been kind enough to bring me back as its PR wing for the eighth year in a row. It means three long days but as I've said before, I wouldn't mind coming back in my next life as a golf writer.

You can check out the Tommy Keane blog here.