Friday, January 09, 2015

Into The Woods

Dartmouth doesn't literally play in The Woods, and it's not really in the White Mountains (as a web posting suggests), but it's close. A promotional video about The Woods mindset that football coach Buddy Teevens has been trying to instill was shot on campus and can be viewed by clicking HERE.

Click photos to supersize.

The Boston Globe has a story about cheating in Dartmouth's “Sports, Ethics and Religion” class last fall.

Green Alert Take: After posting a link yesterday to The Dartmouth's story about "clickergate" I found myself feeling uncomfortable with the comments made by religion professor Randall Ballmer, who taught the course. He told the school paper:
“Part of the reason I designed this course was that I had the sense that some athletes coming here to Dartmouth might have felt just a little bit overwhelmed or intimidated academically. I wanted to design a course that would appeal to their interests and allow them to have an early success in the classroom, and I’d hoped that they would be able to build on that success throughout their time at Dartmouth.”
I know several very bright and academically accomplished athletes who took the course for no other reason than that they found the subject matter interesting. It is too bad they've been unintentionally stained by that comment. Having read stories about clickergate in The D, our local daily, the Globe and various other media outlets since the news broke I can't help but think the professor hasn't been helping things with some of the quotes that have been attributed to him.

Waking to 20.2 below zero temperatures I got the challenge I was looking for yesterday afternoon when I headed out behind the house for a two-hour  hike to the South Peak of Moose Mountain and back down again. But I'm not crazy. It was up to 4 degrees by the time I made the hike, I was seriously "layered up," and I was wearing heavy mittens, but had to take them off to snap this picture.