Saturday, January 06, 2024

Let It Snow!

Visiting recruits this weekend will get a look at what Dartmouth is supposed to look like at this time of year if the forecast is right, with perhaps five inches of snow expected tonight. For those of you from away, Dartmouth President Sian Beilock's video last month offers a glimpse of the wonderland awaiting visitors to campus:
#

News that the NCAA's Pat Summitt Award will honor Buddy Teevens finally broke yesterday with a release that starts this way (LINK):

Eugene F. "Buddy" Teevens, Dartmouth football's all-time winningest coach, made it his mission to change lives.

The football players he coached, aspiring coaches he mentored and colleagues he pushed to think differently remember him as an educator, innovator, trailblazer, father figure, incredible competitor and much more. 

From the release:

Established in 2017, the Summitt Award recognizes an individual in the NCAA's membership who has demonstrated devotion to the development of student-athletes and has made a positive impact on their lives. 

"Coach Teevens embodied all the values of the Pat Summitt Award," NCAA President Charlie Baker said. "His passion for using college sports as a vehicle to provide his players life-changing lessons and opportunities was truly special. He put the health and well-being of student-athletes at the forefront of everything he did and made a positive impact on countless lives during his career."

And . . .

"There's no finer man that I've been associated with in any way," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "I'm fortunate to call him a friend, but more importantly to know Buddy as an individual, as a person, as a family man, as someone that I know made a huge impact on so many people, who committed himself, devoted himself to not just college but the game of football, to young people and to making sure everything he touches is better."  

#

I've been out of touch so this screen grab from a posting this morning on the FootballScoop site caught me off guard (LINK):


#

EXTRA POINT
I had the dream again last night. It's always a little different, always a little disconcerting.

I was back in college and suddenly remembered during finals that I had signed up for a course I'd completely forgotten about and had never attended. This time it was a business course. I was nerved up trying to figure out if there was any way I could learn only what would appear on the final in the 24 hours I had left before sitting for the exam when I woke up and realized to my relief it was only a dream.

As it turned out, although I was an English major as an undergrad I did take one business course. For the record, I attended every class, handed in every assignment and survived the final . . . barely.