Friday, October 02, 2026

'Life Is Good Today'

Be sure to stop by BGA Overtime tonight for a preview of Dartmouth-Penn.

#

In Wednesday night's BGA Overtime Q&A with Sammy McCorkle, the Big Green coach responded to this question: "The current senior class is the last one to be recruited under Buddy Teevens. Even as you put your own stamp on the Dartmouth Way, how do you keep alive the most meaningful messages and lessons that were at the heart of BT as a coach?"

I find myself thinking about that this morning and smiling.

First, an admission. Dartmouth, probably like most football programs, plays loud music throughout practice. It's fair to say it's not music from my play list, and so I pretty much filter it out.

Yesterday, however, I found myself tapping my toes and singing along while the boom box at the 50-yard line blasted Jimmy Buffet singing about cheeseburgers, and Zac Brown telling us he has, "not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand. Life is good today. Life is good today."

It wasn't until practice was over and I was talking with Sammy McCorkle that he reminded me. The music choice was a subtle homage to Buddy Teevens on what would have been his 70th birthday.

#

The Dartmouth never did have a story about last week's game against Monmouth, but it has a photo essay HERE.

#

Dartmouth usually plays it down the middle with its uniform choice with the old guard in town for Homecoming. ;-)

#

Podcaster Jake Novak follows not just Columbia football but the entire Ivy League and here's a transcript of what he has to say about tomorrow's Dartmouth-Penn game (LINK):

Dartmouth, as you know, is my pick to be the number one team right now at this point in the Ivy League season. They are a 7.5-point favorite against Penn, and I like Dartmouth to cover that. I don't know if they're going to wallop Penn. I'm not looking for them to win by 21 points, but I do think they can win by two scores. ... Compared to Lehigh and Monmouth,the first two opponents Dartmouth's played, Penn's going to seem like a slower team. They're going to seem like a team with fewer weapons. Penn's defense is maybe better than what they faced against Monmouth, that's for sure. But I don't think that Dartmouth's going to be overwhelmed by Penn in this game.

I just don't see Penn with the overall weapons right now. I think that their defense has improved, but I'm just not seeing it on the wide receiver and the running back corps right now. I don't know if they have enough to keep up with Dartmouth and they have a scoring machine there.

#

The Philadelphia Inquirer has a piece about Penn coach Ricky Santos starting freshman quarterback Miles Teodecki in his first season with the Quakers. Santos, who is returning to the state where he led the University of New Hampshire to great heights as a player and coach, said of his young QB's rough outing last week against Lehigh (LINK):

"The game moved fast for him. And the quickest way for you to get sped up is to get hit in the mouth and get sacked a couple times, and the ball's going to come out of your hand a lot quicker than the next time, I promise you that."

#

Not much new in it, but the Ivy League web page has a few sentences about Week Three of the Ivy League season HERE. 

#

Back to the grad transfer thing. After yesterday's post, a friend of BGA reminded me that Marques White is still playing. I then added this to yesterday's roundup. In case you missed it:

• Edge rusher Marques White '23, has nine tackles, with three for a loss, 1.5 sacks, three quarterback hurries and one breakup for SMU. He's seventh on the team in tackles. Hampered by injuries at Dartmouth, he spent five years in Hanover, then one at McNeese State and one at UMass before landing at SMU for his eighth season of college football.

#

Running back DJ Crowther '26 is the subject of a piece on the South Florida website HERE, and not surprisingly, he's featured prominently in a piece CBS Sports piece headlined College football's hidden gems: 10 FCS transfers who are shining in the FBS spotlight, led by Iowa's Tony Diaz HERE. From the CBS story:

Crowther nearly hit 1,000 yards last season as a breakout star at Dartmouth and has quickly emerged as a playmaker at the FBS level. 

The senior is averaging 6.4 yards per carry for the Bulls, including 143 yards in a 14-6 win over Bowling Green. Crowther also caught three passes for 51 yards over the past two games, unlocking yet another piece of Brian Hartline's offense.

#

In a podcast interview Jackson Proctor '25, now the wildcat quarterback at South Dakota, offered this about landing at Dartmouth out of high school (LINK):

COVID hit Washington State pretty hard and I didn't really get a senior season and honestly it kind of opened up my perspective to just the next 40 years of my life. A lot of people talk about their 40-year plan, but just being able to go somewhere that is as prestigious as as Dartmouth is and being able to get a degree from there was really important to me . Not to mention they have a really good football program, the most championships in the Ivy League. I thought I could really grow as a person and a football player there and eventually won three Ivy League championships, which was pretty cool.

#

EXTRA POINT
It was on this day in 1950 that these guys came into the world (LINK).