Saturday, March 04, 2006

"Cosmo" Comes to Town

Former Dartmouth tight end and current Carolina Panthers fullback Casey Cramer is in Hanover and I hoped to see him to say hello at last night's basketball win over Columbia. But if "Cosmo" was there, I missed him. Probably a good thing because my kids would have been very upset that I didn't have a Sharpie (the autographing marker of choice) with me. It's funny. Living in Hanover, there's a pretty active Dartmouth fan club for area youth and I'd bet both of my kids have a half-dozen Casey autographs already. Of course, he wasn't in the NFL then. ;-) ... Also at the game was freshman quarterback Josh Cohen, who reiterated that he is hoping to give the hardwood a shot next year. ... It was a good night on the hardwood for the Dartmouth hoop teams by the way. The men finished off a season sweep of Columbia at Leede Arena. The women, meanwhile, got the news they needed to hear when Princeton pummeled Brown and then took care of business -- barely -- by defeating Columbia in overtime. End result: Dartmouth is in a three-way tie for the Ivy League lead with only tonight's game at Cornell and a Tuesday home matchup with Harvard remaining. ... I should have mentioned this: Dartmouth men's basketball has been having an "honorary coach" on the bench each weekend. Seasoned Dartmouth alums may find it interesting that legendary Big Green coach Doggie Julian's daughter Chris had the honor last night. ... Penn clinched the men's Ivy League hoop title and NCAA bid last night. (Ho hum. So what's new?) I could rant for a while about how unfortunate it is for six of the schools in the Ivy League that there's no postseason tournament, but instead I'm going skiing. ... One more thing: The next installment of "10 Questions" will be posted Monday.

No comments: