Wednesday, June 16, 2021

And Now A Word From The Coach

BGA Daily is something of a high wire act out-of-season and, as you might expect, particularly so this year. Will I be able to find something – anything – of interest to post for you today? If not, will I be able to manufacture something by digging into the record book?

Today was starting to look like one of the tough days and then, voilá, I stumbled across a "Teevens Teleteaser" posted by the Dartmouth sports information office. Whew!

Now I can start worrying about finding something for tomorrow . . .

#

#
The Analyst (STATS) has dug up the top Returning FCS players for this fall who have the highest percentage of their team's scrimmage yards since 2019. Dartmouth will be seeing the player atop the list in the second week of the season (LINK):

1. Julius Chestnut, RB, Sacred Heart: 42.5 (2,700 of 6,348)
2. Quay Holmes, RB, ETSU: 33.2 (1,972 of 5,937)
3. Karl Mofor, RB, Albany: 32.6 (2,152 of 6,592)

Find Julius Chestnut's Sacred Heart bio HERE.

Green Alert Take: I had a chance to chat with former linebacker Will McNamara '16 at the wedding Saturday and told him a little about Chestnut. When I brought up how many times a player has come into the Dartmouth game with gaudy statistics only to end up looking pretty pedestrian the conversatio quickly turned to the genius of defensive coordinator Don Dobes. We agreed it will be fun to see what Double D cooks up for the Sacred Heart standout this fall.
 
#
It wasn't surprising to find a Dartmouth name under the headline, Bengals Working With Five Coaches In NFL's Minority Fellowship Program. What was a little surprising was that the name in question belongs to a former Dartmouth softball player. From the story (LINK):

Tessa Grossman, graduate assistant and sports performance coach at Illinois State University. Grossman is a 2020 graduate of Dartmouth College, where she played first base on the varsity softball team. As a coach, she has worked as an intern with the strength staffs at Dartmouth (2018), the L.A. Rams ('18), University of California-Berkeley ('19) and Mamba Sports Academy ('18). She joined Illinois State in July 2020.

#

Brown Stadium will have an artificial surface when Dartmouth travels to Providence in November and in advance of the installation the program has pulled together a quick video explaining the motivation for the move away from the facility's usually muddy and always infamously slow grass field:

#

EXTRA POINT
For the past 14 days I've been listening to an audio book during my morning hike on Wright's Mountain, and while mowing the lawn. Correction. I've been listening to the book for 15 days.

I know this because the book, which I had downloaded for two weeks from the Green Mountain Library Consortium, expired yesterday before I had finished it. Eager to find out how the mystery ended, I dowloaded it again and tried to recall what chapter I was in when the loan expired. I figured I would have to fast-forward through sections I had already heard all the while being cautious not to go too far and give away the ending. I anticipated it was going to be a royal pain.

I needn't have worried. After the book downloaded for the second time it queued up right where I left off, all by itself.

Sometimes technology is wonderful ;-)