Sunday, January 21, 2024

Ouch. Japan 10, Ivy League 5

Find a story  from the Japanese perspective about the game played before 6,271 HERE.

Green Alert Take: The MVP of the game was running back Samajie Grant, a former honorable mention Pac-12 all-conference selection who wrapped up his college career back in 2016 and later got a shot with both the Detroit Lions and the CFL's British Columba Lions.

Green Alert Take II: Now we know at least one reason why the Ivy League had so many post-grads on the team.

Green Alert Take III: Do you think the Ivies could have used Yale quarterback Nolan Grooms, two-time conference offensive player of the year, who was instead playing in the Tropical Bowl?

Here's the Dartmouth contingent:

#

EXTRA POINT
Digging up a radio to tune in the fourth quarter of last night's 49ers-Packers playoff game, two thoughts occurred to me.

First, I was reminded why my father used to turn off the TV sound and have the radio broadcast playing while he watched televised games. The radio guys actually give you the details. I searched up and down the AM dial until I picked the game up on a station out of New York City. I realized after a bit that I probably could have just pulled the broadcast up via the radio station's website, but having the sound fade in and out brought back memories of summer nights spent listening to baseball games from far-away places like Baltimore and Cleveland when I was a kid.

Second thought: Does anyone actually listen to the radio anywhere but in their car these days? Seriously, when I pulled the battery-operated radio off the shelf it had dust on it. The thing hadn't been touched since we used it early last summer at the drive-in movies. 

And a bonus thought: Has anyone under the age of 40 or so even heard of AM radio?