Friday, September 06, 2024

Read On

As someone who likes to read (and has heard that some of you aren't Xwitter fans) I'm trying out sharing the text from the positional updates being posted out of Dartmouth's preseason football camp by the athletic department's office of strategic content and brand management (previously known simply as sports information). These transcripts are lightly edited for clarity.

Wide receivers coach Dan Hebert on his group:

Really excited about what I'm seeing. You have a lot of guys coming back who've played a lot of snaps. Paxton Scott, a fifth year guy who's known in this conference. Painter, who's played a ton since he was a young guy. Jackson Gerard played a lot of snaps for us a year ago. And through his time here, Daniel Haughton played a lot of snaps for us a year ago. So you have a lot of experience. 

And then what I'm really encouraged about is the guys beneath them who are really pushing, all right. Really starting to push. So I'm excited by what we have coming back and then what's beneath them really helping raise the bar.

I think we've got a lot of guys who are chess pieces. We can move them around. They're ball in hand guys. They're guys who are going to go take the top off the defensive coverage. And so it's going to be fun for us to scheme things up, put them in the right places to be successful. 

We talked about it since the winter. About attitude, energy, confidence and trust. Those are the four words, the four pillars of who we want to be. And they've done a great job. Every time we step in the building, whether it's for a meeting, a lift, whether we step out here for practice, they come in with a business like attitude.

I can't reiterate how proud I am of these guys for the work they're putting in. The competition we get in practice, it helps elevate us every day. That, to me, is the biggest asset that we have. The competition we have from side of the ball to side of the ball is through the roof and it's going to make you (better). Pressure creates diamonds. So that's what we're doing.

Find the Xwitter video HERE

Linebackers coach Don Dobes on his group:

It's an experienced group. Two of three have started a number of games for us.

We have a crew that's, I want to say five or six deep, that has led and  made plays, and understands what we're trying to do as a defense.

Key cogs starts with Braden (Mullen) and Danny (Cronin), and Micah (Green) being able to be the leader that we think and know he is. Underneath them, it's Teddy Gianaris and  Zion Freer Brown. I've really been impressed with him. He continues to get better and better and better, and Nico Schwikal is doing a really great job.

The number one theme is just the desire to be the best. What makes me really excited about them is they're self-starters. I don't need to say anything to them. They know what I want, they know what we expect, and they step up and do a great job of being a calming influence and great leaders at the same time.

Find the Xwitter video HERE

#

From a story out of New York State headlined Whitesboro football 2024: Warriors reload in pursuit of state title game redemption comes this (LINK):

The team was not a one-man show in 2023, but the offense certainly benefited from the talent of senior dual-threat quarterback Kyle Meier, who is now a freshman at Division I Dartmouth College. He amassed 4,300 total yards and 60 touchdowns on the way to states. “Those are national numbers. You don’t see those every year,” said (coach Curtis) Schmidt.

#

EXTRA POINT
In the past month or so I've had a chance to host an old friend from Penn State (and his wife) who I'd seen just a couple of times since we were rooting on the Nittany Lions, visit a couple of other friends from my PSU days who I hadn't seen in years, head to New Jersey to have dinner friends from way back in my undergrad days and most recently host my former editor at the newspaper, who I worked under for a lot of years before he retired in Florida. There's nothing quite like old friends!