Welcome (11-11:10 a.m.)Brown (11:10-11:30 a.m.)Columbia (11:30-11:50 a.m.)Cornell (11:50 a.m.-12:10 p.m.)Dartmouth (12:10-12:30 p.m.)Harvard (12:30-12:50 p.m.)Penn (12:50-1:10 p.m.)Princeton (1:10-1:30 p.m.)Yale (1:30-1:50 p.m.)
Green Alert Take: Like Linus waiting for the Great Pumpkin, I always listen to the virtual media day hoping the coaches will actually name names, instead of falling back on platitudes about how hard the team worked in the offseason and how much the players like each other. Who is vying for quarterback? Which defensive end will be a monster this fall? What's your biggest concern? Which team do you think the media poll most undervalued? Here's hoping host Jack Ford asks probing questions instead of just waxing poetic about the Ivy League.
Green Alert Take II: One year the Ivy League office actually took my suggestion and asked each coach two questions I pitched. What position or positional area do you expect to be the greatest strength of your team? And, what position or positional area do you see as the greatest challenge for your team? Unfortunately, the moderator asked the question but then just let the coaches wander back to the usual clichés.
Green Alert Take III: It was a royal pain driving down to New Haven each year for the preseason media day at the Yale Golf Course, but guess what? I got the answers I needed to do a professional job covering Ivy League football. After opening remarks for each coach, there were breakout sessions where we would sit at tables with the individual coaches and push to get real answers. That kind of media day also gave coaches a chance to put a face with a name. Bottom line: I hated those in-person media days – and boy do I miss them.
#
EXTRA POINTHappy belated National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. What's that? Iit was yesterday and I missed it? Oops. But hey, there's always next year, right?