Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Turning The Page To Monmouth

The Asbury Park Press has a lengthy look at Monmouth football with some Dartmouth info in advance of Saturday's game under the headline Monmouth football against Ivy power Dartmouth seeks 2nd straight on road HERE. The story begins with the New Jersey school's interesting nod to its opponent:

WEST LONG BRANCH -- In between the rattling high-intensity reps of Monmouth football's 11-on-11 session at practice on Tuesday is an unfamiliar sound. Mozart's Concerto No. 21 in C Major echoes through Kessler Stadium as an appropriate reminder of the Hawks' upcoming visit to the Ivy League. 

For what it's worth the writer predicts a 21-17 Monmouth win. 

#

For a quick look at Monmouth, here are highlights from the Hawks' win at Albany last week. Monmouth is the team with the blue pants.

#

FloFootball, which broadcasts CAA games, has a piece headlined 1 Month Down, CAA Football is Just Getting Started: Every CAA Game This Week. No breaking news about Monmouth-Dartmouth but if you are curious. find it HERE.

#

Chuck Burton of The College Sports Journal takes a look at the Dartmouth-Lehigh game and includes a photo that clearly shows the Mountain Hawks' receiver was inbounds on the touchdown catch on the Lehigh side. What it doesn't show is if he was bobbling the ball as he slid out of bounds. (LINK)

#

Jake Novak, who for many years did the Roar Lions Columbia football blog, has transitioned his coverage into a podcast, but he's still doing his weekly power rankings. Here's how he sees the Ivy League after one week (LINK):

IVY POWER RANKINGS
1. Harvard
2. Dartmouth
3. Yale
4. Columbia
5. Penn
6. Brown
7. Cornell
8. Princeton

For those of us who prefer to scan the written word for what interests us instead of listening to a full podcast, Jake has automated transcripts turned on. Here's a gently edited transcript of what he had to say about placing Dartmouth second:

(E)ven though they lost, I'm putting Dartmouth at number two. I would have felt very justified in putting them in at number one even if I were so inclined. I'm going to keep Dartmouth at number two for now because of the way that they played against Lehigh.

And Lehigh isn't just a good first place Patriot League team. They're much more than that. This is a Lehigh team that is in first place and is the best team in an improved Patriot League that now includes Villanova and William & Mary. Lehigh is still better than those guys, and I think significantly better. And for them to pull out a win against Dartmouth at home in a very, very close game, Dartmouth looks better to me than they did even before that loss. That's how strong a performance it was. So I'm putting him there in solidly at number two. 

#

EXTRA POINT
It's that time of the year again. Yesterday Mrs. BGA and I got our flu and COVID shots. We actually got three shots but being married to a nurse, I didn't question what the third one was all about and just rolled up my sleeves.