Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I-A, I-AA Labels to be Replaced?

Matt Dougherty, who interned in the sports information office at Dartmouth and now does a fine job as executive director of I-AA football for The Sports Network, has a long, long column that addresses imminent and not-so-imminent changes in Division I-A and I-AA football. Perhaps the most interesting change on the surface is the expected renaming of the categories of Division I football. If I'm reading this long column (did I mention it was long?) correctly, Matt and others expect -- and Matt encourages --the I-A teams being labeled Division I's "Bowl Division" and I-AA being labeled the "Playoff Division." Green Alert Take: This change could be just what those hoping to put heat on the Ivy presidents regarding postseason play have been waiting for. I propose they offer to auction off naming rights to a third label exclusively for Ivy teams: Imagine the "Wal-Mart No Playoff Division" title for sale.

Former Dartmouth coach John Lyons got his second win as defensive coordinator for Cologne of NFL Europe over the weekend as the Centurions handled Hamburg, 20-17. ... The Washington Post has a nice story about Brown's Nick Hartigan. The big running back says that while he's been told he could be a sixth- or seventh-round draft pick he's just hoping to get into an NFL camp and prove himself.

Check back in a little bit for the Q&A with Chris Lincoln, author of Playing the Game, Inside Athletic Recruiting in the Ivy League.

No comments: