Sunday, July 09, 2017

Catching Up




For those of you who have been following along, That Certain Dartmouth '14 has been totally out of cell service for the past 10 or so days of her hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. Yesterday, about 765 miles into her hike, she got a signal on top of Mount Whitney, at 14,505 feet the highest point in the continental United States. Her blog will be updated shortly at Which Way is North? Unfortunately, cell service will be spotty for much of the next part of the 2,650-mile hike, so it will be catch as catch can for all of us vicariously hiking along.
Got home from a spur-of-the-moment overnight in our 1984 VW Westfalia camper at a Vermont state park about a 40-minute drive from here and found three readers had sent along a link to the same story about incoming linebacker Naeem Morgan. Ironically, the story is from my old hometown newspaper. I had seen a promo for it a few days ago and had been waiting for it to show up online. Find the story, headlined Jamaican-born Snapple Bowl football star Morgan headed to Dartmouth, HERE.

From the story:
“I came to school and everybody looked me up and down,” recalled Morgan, who developed a lean athletic build swimming and running track in Jamaica. “They said, ‘You need to talk to the football coach right now.’ I’m into trying new things, so I walked over to Brett Stibitz, who was the head coach at the time. He looked me up and down and said, ‘We have a spot for you, son.’ From that moment on it’s been a learning experience.”
And . . .
“When we moved to America, my family sat me down and said, ‘One of the goals of coming here is so I could get a better opportunity to get a better education,’” said Morgan, who plans to major in economics. “To actually sign and get to go to one of the best schools in the world feels amazing. All the hard work of my parents coming to this country and moving proves it paid off.” 

The BGA mobile headquarters was offline for the past 24 hours ;-)