BGA Overtime had a meet-the-coach feature on Dartmouth offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery last night. It's back to practice tonight, so be sure to come by.
#
You read on BGA Friday about Merrimack falling at FBS Delaware, 42-7. Dartmouth's other two nonconference opponents both won yesterday, one convincingly and one in a close game.
Lehigh 45, Georgetown 14
Tailback Luke Yoder ran for 120 yards and three touchdowns and added a touchdown reception to run his season total to seven scores as Lehigh (2-0) routed Georgetown (0-1) on the road.
Quarterbck Hayden Johnson was 16-of-19 for 271 yards and two touchdowns through the air. Georgetown's only touchdown until scoring with 24 seconds remaining came on a 22-yard fumble return. Attendance at Georgetown's tiny Cooper Field was 2,386.
Quarterback Frankie Weaver found Kenny Smith Jr., from seven yards out with 2:54 remaining to break a 24-all tie and give Monmouth a win in its home opener before 3,622 in West Long Branch.
Sacred Heart (0-1) had a slight edge in first downs and total offense, and had almost 11 minutes of added possession time in a back-and-forth contest that saw the game tied, 7-7, after one quarter, 14-14 at the half, and 21-21 after three quarters. Weaver completed 26-of-37 passes for 237 yards and three touchdowns to pace Monmouth (1-1).
He’s had tires pop a dozen times or more. He almost got hit by a car a few times. He’s sweating two liters per hour, or around 50 pounds of water weight per day. When he drove out of New Orleans toward Texas, he passed an alumina plant where bauxite dust — which, as he points out, is “highly toxic” — was blowing into the surroundings and onto him. On his way from Texas through Oklahoma, he hit winds ranging from 50 to 75 miles per hour. During one stretch of his trip, it rained for 19 of 20 days. His phone died for 36 hours. There are intense calluses and splits all over his hands, feet and “every other contact point I have on the bike,” he said. “I’ll leave it at that.” Then, there’s the loneliness of it all.
EXTRA POINT
With our lawn tractor acting up, I had to use my push mower to cut our overgrown lawn. I cut a little more than half of it Friday and finished up yesterday. I listened to a few podcasts while I was mowing and the total on the step counter in the iPod/phone while I was listening was . . . wait for it . . . 23,000 steps. That's a lot of steps. Here's hoping I get the tractor working properly or the grass grows v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y before it goes to sleep for the winter.